Potential Engine - Audi R6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Potential Engine

Just a thread to speculate on what engine Audi will put into the R6. I'm thinking of a detuned 4.0-litre V8 TFSI engine, the one found in the R8 and RS. Just detuned to ro less than 500 hp so it won't compete with the higher end models.
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 01:48 PM

I don't think it would be something that high.. I'm thinking something like a 3.0T with the 333hp. Something more along the lines of the 718 Cayman S
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 05:01 PM

There's no way they will go for a V8. If this was 10+ years ago then you can suggest that but it just doesn't fly these days with all that's going on plus with a boosted inline 6 they will be set for power and torque, along with meeting the sort of gas mileage that positions them well in this segment.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 05:26 PM

Pretty much. V8s are, for a lack of better words, dead. We have six cylinder turbos/twin turbos for high performance now.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 10:45 PM

V8's are just dead in a platform like this, in segments above V8's are king. It all comes down on application and 6 cylinders is whats best for this segment. anything more is just counter productive.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 02:01 PM

I wouldn't say King.. before it was "there's no replacement for displacement" but we've discovered that... forced induction.

It's not even so much of a power thing either, it's just how bulky and heavy they are that makes the difference. The Ford GT for example opted for the v6 twin-turbo despite running a 7L v8 before. The v6 makes more horsepower for one, and secondly, the v8 just couldn't fit into their design and keep it aerodynamic
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Maybe we'll see a tuned 4-cylinder turbo engine, those things are pumping out large amounts of power these days and they're fuel efficient.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 04:51 PM

I can see that happening. A 4 pot turbo pushing 300ish ? Maybe a set of tiny twins ? Quick spool, peak boost by 4k
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 01:16 PM

You just better hope its reliable and that over the long haul it will hold up even after the period where you do high mileage maintenance. I think Ford is having problems with its EcoBoost engines, so that's something to have a look at. But hopefully Porsche learned from experiences like that.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 03:55 PM

So far I haven't heard any issues from Porsches 4 banger. But it's still new so we have some time.

Reliability is going to be the key thing with these though, there's that and they need to be able to put up with a bit of abuse. These cars are going to be actually driven and used for fun rides like canyon carving. That's a lot of high rpm and twisting and turning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Audi R6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page